Citizens, businesses and organizations can hire Deputies during their off-duty hours. The Deputies will report directly to the hiring entity. The Deputies job will be to assist the community by providing law enforcement services relating to crowd control, traffic control and security.
Deputies may be hired for the following:
- Civic Relations
- Construction sites
- Dignitary protection
- Funeral escorts
- Job safety
- Private functions
- Social events
- Store sales and events
Please check with Indian River County Public Works-Traffic & Engineering Division (772) 226-1547 to see if you are required to have a permit.
The Indian River County Sheriff's Office reserves the right to refuse or cancel extra-duty work assignments that are in conflict with the law or values of the Sheriff's Office. Furthermore, the Sheriff's Office may recall the deputies for official duty when necessary for community safety.
Rates of Service
3 Hour Minimum (An employee can work less than 3 hours but must be paid for 3 hours).
- Deputy plus marked unit: $40.00 per hour. Holiday Rate: $45.00
- Sergeant plus marked unit: $45.00 per hour. Holiday Rate: $50.00
- Lieutenant plus marked unit: $45.00 per hour. Holiday Rate: $50.00
Based upon the size or type of event, the Sheriff's Office may require additional deputies be hired to ensure the safety of deputies and civilians.
- 5-10 Deputies require the hiring of one Supervisor.
- 11-20 Deputies require the hiring of two Supervisors.
- 21-30 Deputies require the hiring of three Supervisors and a Lieutenant.
Annual or Reoccuring Account: The customer will be billed monthly and must make payment upon receipt in the form of check or money order.
Payments must be paid in advance.Payment in the form of credit/debit card, check or money order made payable to the Indian River County Sheriff's Office
Steps to Hire a Deputy
These downloads are presented in PDF and RTF format. Please ensure that you have the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader installed to ensure compatibility.
- Download the contract (PDF) (Text Only) or contact the Senior Staff Assistant at (772) 978-6161 for a copy of the contract.
- Complete the contract and fax it to (772) 978-6164 or email it to ExtraDutyDetails@ircsheriff.org Note: requests submitted less than seven days in advance may not be completed.
- Upon receipt of the contract, the Senior Staff Assistant will contact you in order to verify the information and obtain specific details.
- Each contract must be approved prior to final acceptance through the Law Enforcement Operations Lieutenant or his/her designee.
Cancellations must be confirmed at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled detail. If the detail is cancelled or changed and the Administrative Support Deputy does not confirm notification, then the deputies scheduled for that detail MUST be paid the 3-hour minimum.
Administrative Support Deputy contact information:
- Business Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm - (772) 978-6161
- After hours: Emergencies only - (772) 978-6240
Note: It is the responsibility of the employer to notify the office of the Administrative Support Deputy if the business or organization will be closed for a holiday or for any other purpose when extra-duty deputies are normally scheduled. If employer fails to notify the office of the Administrative Support Deputy for deputies not needed for the day, the normal minimum charges for the assignment will apply.
Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express accepted.
A convenience fee of 2.5%, with a $2.00 minimum, will be applied to each transaction.